Reuben teaches FREE continuing education classes to real estate agents at their offices and currently has three different courses that have been approved by the Minnesota Department of Commerce, as well as one pending course. Click this link to see upcoming classes.
To schedule a class at your real estate office, please email [email protected], or call our office at 952-915-6466.
Home Inspection Horrors II (4 hours)
This class covers some of the most common home inspection defects and clarifies whether these are a big deal or a small deal.
- Negotiations after the inspection
- Problems with ‘flipped’ houses
- What’s the big deal about a cracked heat exchanger?
- Furnace certification/safety check/service call…what’s the difference?
- What’s the concern with the double tapped circuit breakers, really?
- Federal Pacific Electric panels
- Aluminum wiring
- How to spot a buried fuel oil tank
- Ice dam myths
- Top deck defects
- Stone veneer siding, the new stucco?
This course is pending approval by the Minnesota Commissioner of Commerce for 4 hours of Real Estate continuing education.
Home Inspections on Old Houses (3 hours)
This course is focused on the most common home inspection defects that come up during inspections of old houses, with a focus on old Minneapolis and Saint Paul homes. Topics include:
- General differences between old and new homes
- Chimneys, chimney scans
- Gravity furnaces
- Roof lines, problems associated with old roofs
- Miscellaneous old-houses features (aka “doo-hickeys”)
- Plumbing: drum traps, floor drains, S-traps, steel drains, steel water lines, lead water supplies, cross-connections
- Electrical – overhead wires, fuse panels, knob and tube wiring, ungrounded outlets and fixtures
This course has been approved by the Minnesota Commissioner of Commerce for 3 hours of Real Estate continuing education.
Residential Water Intrusion Problems (1 hour)
This class will cover residential design problems that lead to water intrusion. The most common failure locations will be covered, which includes:
- Roofs, problematic roof designs
- Ground water management problems
- Chimney problems (both masonry and wood)
- Siding failures
- Window failures
This class will teach attendees how to quickly identify problematic roof designs, as well as problematic landscaping. This class will teach where these failures most often occur, how they occur, and what warning signs to look for.
This course has been approved by the Minnesota Commissioner of Commerce for 1 hour of Real Estate continuing education.
New Construction Home Inspections (1 hour)
This class will cover the most common issues found during home inspections on new construction homes. Major components covered will include attics, roofs, siding, decks, electrical, plumbing, and HVAC.
- Objections to new construction inspections, manufacturer’s requirements, and code rule discussion
- Attic defects: insulation, air leakage, and framing
- Roof defects: nailing, venting, and flashing
- Exterior defects: decks and siding
- Basement and structural defects
- HVAC defects: furnaces, ductwork, and clearance requirements for various exhaust and inlet terminals
- Plumbing defects: water heaters, leaks, and access panels.
This class with teach participants about the importance of new construction inspections, showing hundreds of photos of new construction defects that are repeated on a daily basis. Participants will have a far greater understanding of the most common new construction defects, and why many occur.
This course was submitted for approval to the Minnesota Commissioner of Commerce for 1 hour of Real Estate continuing education on 4/9/2018.
The calendar below shows our scheduled upcoming classes. In accordance with Minnesota Statute Chapter 45.30, Subd. 7 (Courses open to all), all real estate agents are welcome to attend any of these classes, regardless of location or agency. Access may be restricted to these classes based on class size only.