While we typically don’t recommend mold testing, it’s a service that we can provided when needed. We can perform either swab testing or air sampling. It takes two to three days to get the results. A mold test will identify what types of mold were present and the spore count at the exact moment in time that we took the test, and in that exact location. It does NOT say that mold is harmful or if there is a harmful level of mold present.
Mold grows throughout the natural and built environment. Tiny particles of mold are present in indoor and outdoor air. Mold forms when it finds moisture, nutrients and a suitable place to grow. Mold should not be permitted to grow and multiply indoors. When this happens, health problems can occur and building materials, goods and furnishings may be damaged. A small percentage of the population has a severe reaction to certain types of mold.
The Minnesota Department of Health does not generally recommend testing for mold. Instead, simply assume there is a problem whenever mold can be seen or mold odors are present. Invasive or destructive inspection is sometimes necessary to fully discover the extent of a mold problem. The most important step in solving a mold problem is to identify and correct the moisture source that allowed the mold to grow in the first place. Whenever mold is found it should be properly cleaned up to prevent further spread.
For more information about mold, please visit the Minnesota Department of Health web site at http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/eh/indoorair/mold/index.html .